Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
How Can Veneers Help My Smile?
Porcelain veneers can give you the smile you've always wanted. Veneers are ultra-thin, custom-made shells that are placed over the front part of the teeth. Dr. Cecilia Gyllenhoff and Dr. Samuel Cappiello of Mclean Dental Care, which is located in McLean, VA, offer veneers to their patients. Read on to find out how veneers can help your smile.
1. Whiten Your Smile- Tobacco use, certain medications, and pigments from certain foods and beverages can cause stains on your teeth. Porcelain veneers can give you the bright-white smile you've always wanted. Unlike, tooth enamel, dental veneers resist stains remarkably well.
2. Close Tooth Gaps- A diastema is a gap between the teeth. This condition affects people of all ages. These spaces can form anywhere in the mouth. Porcelain veneers are routinely used to close gaps between teeth. These porcelain shells fit over the surface of your teeth to create an evenly-spaced smile.
3. Restore Chipped Teeth- Porcelain veneers are used to restore teeth that are chipped, cracked, or broken. They can cover them and restore their appearance and function. A porcelain veneer covers the front of the tooth with a thicker section to replace the broken part of the tooth.
4. Strengthen Teeth- Porcelain veneers are incredibly strong and durable. They provide strength comparable to tooth enamel. Veneers can protect and strengthen your worn-down teeth. This is possible due to the durable material that composes veneers as they cover your teeth.
Ready for a smile makeover? Start your journey today! Call Mclean Dental Care at (703) 734-0100 today to schedule a dental consultation in McLean, VA. Veneers have helped millions of people improve their smiles, boosting their self-esteem, and changing their lives. And they can do the same for you!
When the multi-platinum recording artist, songwriter and TV personality Jason Derulo was recently asked about his ideal woman, his answer covered a remarkably broad spectrum. "There’s no specific thing," he said, "so I think it’s unfair to say what my ‘type’ is." But it turns out that there is one thing the So You Think You Can Dance judge considers essential: A beautiful smile.
"I’m not into messy teeth," Derulo said. "If the grill has spaces and different colors, it’s not my vibe."
As it turns out, he may be on to something: A number of surveys have indicated that a bright, healthy smile is often the first thing people notice when meeting someone new. Yet many are reluctant to open up that big grin because they aren’t satisfied with the way their teeth look. If you’re one of them, consider this: Modern cosmetic dentistry offers a variety of ways to improve your smile — and it may be easier and more affordable than you think.
For example, if your smile isn’t as bright as you would like it to be, teeth whitening is an effective and economical way to lighten it up. If you opt for in-office treatments, you can expect a lightening effect of up to 10 shades in a single one-hour treatment! Or, you can achieve the same effect in a week or two with a take-home kit we can custom-make for you. Either way, you’ll be safe and comfortable being treated under the supervision of a dental professional — and the results can be expected to last for up to two years, or perhaps more.
If your teeth have minor spacing irregularities, small chips or cracks, it may be possible to repair them in a single office visit via cosmetic bonding. In this process, a liquid composite resin is applied to the teeth and cured (hardened) with a special light. This high-tech material, which comes in colors to match your teeth, can be built up in layers and shaped with dental instruments to create a pleasing, natural effect.
If your smile needs more than just a touch-up, dental veneers may be the answer. These wafer-thin coverings, placed right on top of your natural teeth, can be made in a variety of shapes and colors — from a natural pearly luster to a brilliant "Hollywood white." Custom-made veneers typically involve the removal of a few millimeters of tooth enamel, making them a permanent — and irreversible — treatment. However, by making teeth look more even, closing up spaces and providing dazzling whiteness, veneers just might give you the smile you’ve always wanted.
If you would like more information about cosmetic dental treatments, please call our office to arrange a consultation. You can learn more in the Dear Doctor magazine article “Cosmetic Dentistry — A Time for Change.”
June is the month when lots of important events happen—like weddings, graduations, and family get-togethers. When the weather turns balmy and the days get longer, it’s the perfect time for a celebration…and today it’s easier than ever to capture those special moments in pictures that will be treasured for years to come. Are you ready for your close-up?
Both professional photographers and dentists want to help you look your best when you’re smiling for the camera. Here are a few suggestions from both kinds of pros for capturing a great-looking smile.
Tilt your head just a bit
Instead of looking straight at the camera, try turning or tilting your head slightly. This often presents a more flattering angle, and can hide small facial asymmetries. If your face has a “good side” (you can check by looking in a mirror), be sure to make it visible. But even if your head is tilted or turned, your eyes should be looking at the camera.
Moisten teeth before the shutter clicks
A sparkly smile is the most appealing one. Just before the picture is snapped, run your tongue over your teeth to give them a little extra shine. Highlights in the teeth, lips and eyes add liveliness to your portrait.
Relax—Don’t clench your teeth!
It’s better to smile naturally—perhaps with teeth slightly parted, or lips in a more relaxed position—than to force yourself to make an artificial-looking grin. Try recalling things that make you joyful, or think of people you care about, and chances are your natural smile will shine out.
Have your teeth professionally cleaned at the dental office
Before the big event, you can ensure that your smile looks its best with a professional cleaning at our office. This treatment removes layers of plaque and tartar on visible tooth surfaces, as well as between teeth and under the gumline. It not only makes teeth look their best, but it’s also an effective way to fight tooth decay and gum disease. And while you’re here, it’s the perfect time to talk about any cosmetic issues that may be troubling you about your smile. With treatments like teeth whitening, cosmetic bonding or dental veneers, we can help you get the smile you’ve always wanted.
If you would like more information about professional teeth cleaning or cosmetic dentistry, please call our office to schedule a consultation.
The holidays are a season for giving. At this time of year, lots of us spend hours rushing around, looking for the perfect gifts for people we care about. But sometimes, amidst all the hustle and bustle, it doesn’t hurt to step back and think about yourself a little. If a better-looking smile has been on your list but you haven’t taken the first steps, the holiday season might be the right time to give yourself a gift.
Many smile problems, like discolored, chipped or uneven teeth, can be resolved with veneers—wafer-thin porcelain shells that cover the front surfaces of teeth. Veneers are custom-made just for you: They can have a pearly luster to match your existing teeth, or be Hollywood-white for a dazzling red-carpet smile. In just a few visits to the dental office, you can have the smile you’ve always wanted—and a whole new look for the New Year.
If damaged or missing teeth are what’s bothering you, you’ll be happy to know that there are lots of good options for replacing them. If the tooth’s roots are still in good shape, a crown or cap could be the answer. This is a sturdy replacement for the entire visible part of the tooth that not only looks great, but also functions well in your bite—and can last for years to come.
If teeth are missing or can’t be saved, we offer several options for replacement, including fixed (non-removable) bridgework and dental implants. A tried-and-true method for replacing one or more missing teeth, bridges are firmly supported by healthy teeth next to the gap in your smile. These teeth must be prepared to receive the bridge by having some of the tooth’s surface removed.
Dental implants are today’s premier option for tooth replacement. In this high-tech system, a root-like titanium insert, placed directly into the bone beneath the gum, forms a solid anchorage for the visible part of the replacement tooth. Implants look and feel completely natural, and can last for many years. Plus, they don’t require any work to be done on nearby teeth.
What kind of smile makeover is right for you? Just ask us! We will be happy to take a look at your smile and recommend a treatment plan. And in this season of generosity, there’s no better gift you can give yourself than a bright new smile.
You can learn more about smile makeovers by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Beautiful Smiles by Design.”
Want a more beautiful smile?
Your McLean, VA, dentists, Dr. Cecilia Gyllenhoff and Dr. Samuel Cappiello, have a great solution that's both cost-effective and time-saving. If you're interested in finding out more about veneers and how they can help you, then you've come to the right place!
What's the process like?
Veneers are porcelain shells that have color stability, which means they are resistant to staining.
This is what the process is like:
- The dentist will examine your teeth and make sure you have no severe issues, like cavities, that may need to be treated first. Then they will assess whether veneers are right for you.
- If you're a good fit, the doctor will first have a “wax up” prepared by the lab on models of your teeth to use as a guide for the restoration. This is a permanent procedure, so make sure veneers are something you are comfortable with. The enamel is then prepared so the veneers align properly with the rest of your natural teeth or other veneers that will be installed as well. You will leave the office with temporary veneers in place and will get the permanent veneers in about two weeks.
Who needs veneers?
Think of veneers as a resurfacing process. Your McLean doctor eliminates the flaws ruining your smile. Here are some examples of what veneers can cover:
- Dents, grooves, cracks and fractures found on the surface of your teeth that may have been caused by injury or wear, for example.
- Slight gaps, overcrowdedness, and crooked and misshaped teeth can be fixed. These issues can simply be hereditary, but cause issues with bite and chewing function.
- Discoloration and stains can be removed to give you a brighter smile. Discoloration could be due to age or other factors like smoking or drinking tea and coffee.
How to care for veneers?
Porcelain veneers are strong, but it's important to take proper care of them. Brushing and flossing are essential, and don't skip your bi-yearly exam with your doctor.
Veneers are a great way to improve the appearance of your smile, so call your McLean, VA, dentist today!