If you have a naturally white smile, you’ll want to do your best to keep it that way. While there are many things you can do to preserve your white smile, over time, teeth often begin to lose a little of their luster. In these situations, you may want to consider cosmetic dental options. Dr. Cecilia Gyllenhoff and Dr. Samuel D. Cappiello of McLean Dental Care in McLean, VA, recommend the following ways to maintain a white smile.
Your Go-to At-Home Teeth Cleaning Routine
To keep your smile as white as possible, you should:
- Brush your teeth twice every day
- Floss at least once each day after brushing
- Rinse with a dentist-approved mouthwash
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks
- Avoid tobacco products
Over time, particularly as you age, stains can build up on your teeth. This may make you feel self-conscious about your smile. At times like this, many McLean residents visit our office to discuss professional whitening procedures. In-chair bleaching can whiten your teeth by up to fifteen shades over a series of visits.
How Veneers Can Help
If your teeth are very stained and the discoloration is affecting the deeper layers of the tooth, dental veneers are a good option to restore your white smile. There are other advantages to dental veneers, as well, including:
- They provide a natural appearance
- You can treat them just as you do your natural teeth
- They are resistant to staining
- They protect your natural teeth
- They are tolerated very well by gum tissue
Getting dental veneers is a three-step process:
- Step one: you will have a consultation with your dentist to discuss your needs and options.
- Step two: your dentist will reshape your teeth to prepare them for veneers. She will make an impression of your teeth to send to the lab where your veneers will be created.
- Step three: Your dentist will trim the veneer to make it fit perfectly before cementing it into place.
If you want to find out more about teeth whitening or you’re looking for a cosmetic dentist, call McLean Dental Care at (703) 734-0100.